Port to Port: A Ship’s Journey curriculum is a free course from Nauticus, a Newport harbor museum, where students track a real ship in real time as it makes its way from its home port to its port of call.
Along the way, students:
- Create a ship’s log.
- Explore latitude and longitude.
- Learn weather terms.
- Adopt a ship and learn about its characteristics.
- Learn about the home port and the port of call of their ship.
- Plot the ship’s course on a map.
- Determine the distance traveled.
- Study the environmental impacts of ships.
This unit incorporates math, science, language arts, geography, and economics in five lessons.
The ship’s log is a unique take on notebooking! A fun way to learn about transportation, ships, the sea, and places around the world. And it’s free!